Concert in Rome, 6 April 1947
The brochure's format is surprising: a wallet folded triptych. However, the words "Orchestra dell' Augusteo" should not surprise us: this is another name for the Orchestra of the National Academy of Santa Cecilia, borrowed from the prestigious hall of the Augusteo, built in 1907 on the ruins of the mausoleum of Augustus, and destroyed in 1936 to allow the excavation and restoration of the same mausoleum. The Orchestra then moved to the Teatro Adriano, before settling in the Teatro Argentina in 1946.
The programme — Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms — is conventional. Furtwängler conducting after more than two years of forced retirement, is getting back to his "basics".
The conductor's biography on page 2 has a few approximations...